« Back

Vienna Opera House
August 23, 2010

The Vienna Opera House is situated in Vienna's first district at the Ring Boulevard. It's history dates back to the mid-19th century, when it was built by August von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll from 1861 to 1869. At this time the Opera House was called the Vienna Court Opera. Since 1920 it's named Vienna State Opera.

At the end of World War II the Vienna State Opera suffered immense. After the end of the war the façade was restored as well as the interior. The reopening of the opera house was celebrated on the 5th of November 1955. Today, the Vienna State Opera produces 50 to 60 operas per year and is considered to be the number one Opera House of Central Europe.

Throughout the years, many famous conductors worked at the Vienna Opera House, amongst them Gustav Mahler, Richard Strauss and Herbert von Karajan. The Vienna Opera House was also the workplace of many famous artists like Luciano Pavarotti, Mara Callas, José Carreras and many others. Under the direction of Ioan Holender the opera house became well-known for its children's productions.

The members of the Vienna Philharmonic are recruited from the orchestra of the Vienna State Opera. The Vienna Opera House is not only known for the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, but also for the Opera Ball, which takes place annually on the last Thursday in Fasching. On July 1, 1998, as Austria undertook its first presidency of the European Union, Fidelio was broadcasted live from the Vienna State Opera to the 15 capitals of the EU.

Immediately before each performance unsold cheap standing place tickets can be bought.  

How to get there by public transportation:

Subway: line U, U2, U4 (get off at "Karsplatz")

Tram: line 1, 2, D, 62, 65 (get off at "Oper")
Vienna Opera House